St John’s Province Kanjirapally is the sixth province of the SABS congregation which was unified in 1965. The province came into being after the erection of the Kanjirapally diocese in 1977 when the Changanassery diocese was made an arch-diocese and Kanjirapally became an independent diocese. The Changanessery province of the SABS congregation also was divided into the Changanassery and Kanjirapally provinces following this.
The first convent of the province was established way back in 1952, at Kaleketty, when it was still a part of the Changanassery province. Convents were later raised at Ponkunnam(1952), Elikulam(1953), Mundakayam(1954), Vandanmedu(1957), Elangoi(1957), Elamgulam(1958), Kanjirapally(1958), Upputhara(1960), Koruthode(1972), Podimattam(1972) and Pullikanam(1976). When St. John’s Province came into being, the house at Ponkunnam was made the Provincial House and Sr Maria Therese was elected as the first Provincial Superior. Later on, the province saw tremendous growth in both spiritual and material grounds. At present we have 34 convents in the diocese of Kanjirapally where sisters spread the Eucharistic love by engaging themselves in teaching, caring for the sick, poor and aged, pastoral ministry, counselling services, conducting adoration an d interceding for the intentions of the whole world, faith formation etc.